Sunday, August 29, 2010

Week 2 - We added Spanish and learned to Knit

This week we got to add Spanish to our daily classes.

The kids are taking La Clase Divertida and I LOVE it. The instructor on the DVD is very good with the kids. We do a video lesson over two weeks and listen to a CD over those weeks for practice. There also is a workbook and crafts. I am very Texan and just cannot pronounce Spanish very well. I really would LOVE for my kids to become comfortable with speaking and understanding (where as I can only really understand). This week they learned their vowel sounds, colors, alphabet sounds to G (including CH). They also learned how to ask someone their name and answer when someone asks them. We practice everyday and the kids are getting very good at these things. Little Abigail even goes around singing our Vowel song. It really is helping me as well.

Shelby and I also started a knitting class with some other moms and daughters in our Meet up group. Shelby is having a hard time learning to knit with two needles but is able to finger knit with one and with her whole hand. I am HORRIBLE with craft stuff. However I have picked up a basic stitch and purl stitch. I made a pretty ugly bag to hold our yarn and needles in and am pretty proud of it. Shelby is still trying to knit with needles but we may try to get a hoop to let her try with. Matthew has learned to knit with his fingers and wants me to show him how to knit with needles so we may try it this week.

In class at home this week Shelby completed a unit in Horizons in Math, Spelling and Language Arts. She took 4 "tests" on Friday. She got everything right on her Math, Spelling and Memory Work (Genesis 1:1) and scored a 95 on Language Arts. Her LA was because she did not follow directions not because she did not know the info.

Matthew is still reading a Bob book a day and even picked up some easy readers at the library that I caught him reading on his own. He is really doing so much better than I thought he would do this year.

Shelby and Matthew have been competing with each other on Addition facts flash cards for a few minutes each day this week. Matthew SHOCKED me with how quickly he shouted out the correct answers. He beat his sister a few days in a row. Toward the end of the week Shelby started memorizing them and was able to beat her little brother. Baby Abigail even shouted out a few answers this week correctly.

In Music the kids learned that the Italian word "piano" means soft. They added a third note to what they know on the recorder and can read the music in front of them for all three notes. They still have a little problem switching between the notes but they are learning quickly.

I don't have any pictures from the week because someone hid my camera charger! Hopefully it will be found soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment