Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Teaching Place Value - Place Value Lane




Place Value was a challenging subject for one of my children.  They just did not comprehend that the number 35 had 3 sets of 10's and 5 ones.  So one day I sat down and drew a street with houses (see pic above).  There is an units/ones house on the right, tens house, hundreds house and thousands house (and on and on).  These houses get bigger and bigger but all only have 9 rooms. 

I then pulled out our cuisinare rods and some index cards.  I wrote a number on the index card and told my kids to put the units and tens in their houses for the night.  At first they looked at me strange and then they thought about it.  Slowly they put the correct amount of units in the unit house and tens in the ten house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment