Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Staples are to hold the brain in


I can't believe I forgot to post this educational experience.

Last Tuesday night Matthew was jumping around the house like he normally does. I swear they shaved him as a baby and handed him to me (he really is a monkey). He was trying to give Abigail a kiss goodnight and climbed on the arm chair by the fireplace. He slipped and hit his head right on the corner. I thought I had this fireplace blocked with Abigails play yard and the chair but Matthew still managed to get hurt.

Matthew passed out for about 2 minutes and was bleeding. I went to him and thought he was just stunned (like his breath got knocked out). I grabbed a towel for the blood and had Shelby get the phone. I dialed my parents to have them come over to watch Shelby and Abigail. By that time Matthew was awake and screaming. The blood freaked him out.

I carried him to the bathroom and we cleaned up his head and my hands. I finally saw that the wound was not that big but probably would need a staple or two. When my parents got there we got Matthew to walk (he was not wanting to up until then). My dad and I drove to the hospital and my mom stayed with the girls.

At the hospital they got him back pretty quickly. The doctor looked at him and said he would need a CAT scan and one staple. He came back and cleaned Matthew's wound with a "squirt gun" (what I called the syringe with water) and then quickly stapled the wound. Matthew just said "That Hurt" and had no tears. Then the guy took Matthew in a cool Wheelchair to the CAT scan. "Princess Sarah" took him and laid him in the "space ship" for his "ride" (again a story I told him to keep him calm). The results of the CAT scan came back quickly and all was clear. We then signed him out and got to go back in 5 days to remove the staple.

Matthew told Daddy when he got home that he had a staple in his head to hold in the brains. At least the staple had a good purpose.

Matthew LOVED the experience and bragged about his space ship ride and wheelchair.

What we learned ... head wounds bleed a LOT, the skull is the bone that holds the brain in, staples don't hurt coming out but do hurt going in, CAT scans are cool but cost a LOT of money, and most importantly ... NO MORE CLIMBING ON CHAIRS!

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! Sorry you had to go through that! I guess you can use the picture every time he forgets and climbs again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he's doing ok - great job on all of the stories to keep him calm!

    Do you think he'll remember that last lesson? The one about climbing on chairs?

    ReplyDelete