Saturday, January 30, 2010

Counting by 5's and Reading!

This week we have been working on counting by 5's in order for Shelby to count nickels. We spent three days working on 5's, playing games, doing worksheets and then introducing the nickel. We then spent two days counting nickels.

So far in Money we have studied the penny, dime and now nickel. In a couple weeks we will introduce the quarter and then start making change!

We also continued to review our place value work, addition and basic clock work. Shelby seems to have a clear understanding of all of the above. I am loving our Horizons Math books. They really are helping her review weekly concepts that we have learned. We also are continuing to use Singapore math for the mastery part. It is working well (FINALLY a math system that works) so I plan on continuing it next year.

Shelby also has exploded in reading this past week. She started struggling and seemed like she had hit a wall a month ago. This week though she has been picking out her own book to read each night. Some of them are much harder than what I would have given her but she has done well with them. I think now that she is further along in her phonics and spelling work that that is helping her.

We did not really do a science topic or history this past week but we did work on her geography and map work.

On a side note ... the kids need swimming lessons and I am struggling with where to take them and the amount it costs. We have tried the YMCA and community center in the past and it really set Shelby back more than helped her. There is a swim school that a lot of my friends are taking their kids to and they have had incredible results. My goal is for the kids to be able to swim, know how to hold their breath and not be scared. I think distance will come with practice. This swim school costs about $90 a month PER child!!! I just don't know if I can squeeze that out of anywhere right now ... so we are still trying to figure out what to do. Schiliterbahn is building a water park (will open in 2012) literally around the corner from us (not sure how I feel about that). I know they need to learn how to swim before then.

We also will probably start Awanas in the next two weeks. One of Matthews friends is in it and there are some kids Shelby knows in it as well. I think it would be great for them.

Matthew note- his speech is going well. He is getting his "s" and "k" sounds down. We are now starting on "l" sounds. I hope he progresses enough to be able to end it in July or August.

Abigail-poor sweet baby has been sick all week. We have gone to the doctor and have no answers. Just high fever, coughing and stuffed up head.

No comments:

Post a Comment