Monday, October 26, 2009

Keeping focused

Since I am not home to work with Shelby during the day on Tuesday and Thursday we have started a new system. I have read on other blogs about work boxes and just formed our own version.

I bought this drawer set at Target and made cards for both Shelby and Matthew here at home.

I set it up every night and then Shelby knows to look at her "assignment book" to see where to start in the morning. Sometimes I have "circle time"on the first spot so that her and Matthew already know to come to me. Then I put anything they need to do in the drawers with their number cards on the item in the drawer and the number is Velcroed on the outside. Once they finish a task they put the number card into their basket and the Velcro dot on their little assignment book I made them. She works the drawers. If it is a subject I need to help her on or Teach I put a "help" card in and she comes to me for instruction.

I put her "snack", "recess", "art", "music" etc cards on her assignment book where I want them. So she may have three blank spots and then "read for 15 minutes", then 2 blank spots and "snack". She gets to see what she has to look forward too.

Matthew has gotten much better at doing his school work now that he can see what he has to do at the beginning. At most I have four assignments for him and usually 2 of them are joint with Shelby.

There are days I have to take her to Mothers Day Out with me and I just pack up the assignments into her schoolbag along with her "assignment book" and any supplies she may need. It has worked pretty well and last week she even completed all of her work during Mothers Day Out.
Drawer System filled and ready for school day

Shelby's assignment book set with her extras

Matthews assignment book set.


Samples of what I put in the drawer.Matthews book completed (except for one joint project)

No comments:

Post a Comment