Saturday, June 6, 2009

Creative writing

Today I went out of town to go see my 100 year old great grandma who is in the hospital after a heart attack. She is doing well and should be home by Monday (still lives on her own).

I left phonics, spelling and writing work with Shelby to complete with the substitute teacher (her daddy). LOL One of her assignments was to write a three sentence story using her spelling words this week (at, hat, cat, sat, pat, bat, rat ... etc). She has a hard time creating stories herself so this was a hard project for her. With some guidance from daddy she came up with a story and wrote ...

"A rat wor A hat. I Se cat Rat cat sig"

Translated to be

"A rat wore a hat. I see a cat. The rat and the cat sing."

With mommy she usually will attempt each word in the sentence but apparently had lost all patience by the time her last sentence came around. I still think for her first little story she did pretty well.

The point of the exercise is
a) to spell her "at" words correctly
b) to be creative
c) to practice sentence writing (punctuation, capitalize when needed etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment